Wednesday 3 November 2010

The Breeze in the Almond Tree: Kazantzakis and van Gogh

We are at the heart of autumn, rich yellow and rust tones prevailing. Notwithstanding the season, there's always something vaguely metaphysical -a springtime breeze takes me over- when I come across such beauty:

'When an almond tree became covered with blossoms in the heart of  winter, all the trees around it began to jeer. 'What vanity,' they screamed, 'what insolence! Just think, it believes it can bring spring in this way!' The flowers of the almond tree blushed for shame. 'Forgive me, my sisters,' said the tree. 'I swear I did not want to blossom, but suddenly I felt a warm springtime breeze in my heart.'
~Nikos Kazantzakis Saint Francis (1962)

Sprig of Almond Blossom in A Glass 
Vincent Van Gogh 1888

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.